What is Reflexology?
Reflexology is a holistic non-evasive therapy that treats the whole person; body, mind and spirit.
It works by stimulating reflexes on the feet (or hands) that corresponds to a particular organ, system or structure in the body to release stress or tension within that area. The release of tension may unblock nerve impulses, improve blood supply to all parts of the body and may stimulate the body's innate healing ability.
Reflexology is safe for everyone, babies to the elderly and can be used alongside existing therapies or treatments.
What can Reflexology help with?
- Relaxation and better sleep
- Stress / Anxiety
- Back & neck pain
- PMS & Menopause symptoms
- Reduction of headaches
- Elimination of toxins
- Digestive disorders and constipation
- Energy levels
- Improve circulation
- Many more…
What can I expect from my Reflexology treatment?
Before your treatment:
Don’t eat a heavy meal 1-2 hours prior to your appointment. This is to prevent inducing any nausea, and to give the digestive system sufficient time to do what it needs to do.
During your treatment:
Each treatment will last approx 45mins.
Your first visit will be a little longer as it will include a consultation where we'll have a chat about your medical history and general health. This helps in the planning of your treatment which is tailored to suit your individual needs.
You will then be asked to removed any socks / shoes and get comfortable in my reclining chair, then I will cover you with a blanket.
I will examine your feet for any abnormalities and make note of the temperature, the texture and the colour of both feet. The treatment will then begin with some gentle relaxation techniques followed by me applying pressure to each of the reflex points. The pressure will be firm but not painful, although some reflex points may seem more uncomfortable than others, which is an indication of tension and imbalance in a corresponding part of the body.
Everyone’s Reflexology experience is different, but generally people feel a sense of deep relaxation and many fall asleep. Some have reported to have had tingles in their body, to feel lighter, as if a weight has been lifted and others are extremely sleepy and need to go to bed.
+ Some normal reactions you may feel:
- perspiration of hand or feet
- feeling light headed
- sensation of being cold
- laughing / crying
- increased thirst
- disappearance of all pain / discomfort
+ After your treatment:
After treatment you may experience some reactions - most of the time they are positive reactions. No matter how insignificant they may feel, they are of great importance, as they show me how your body is responding to treatments.
- Feelings of well-being
- Deep relaxation and peacefulness
- Ability to cope with stresses more evenly for some days following treatment
- Generally feeling happier
- Quicker physical and / or mental reactions
- Noticeably more energy
- Better/longer and deeper sleep patterns develops
- Cold like symptoms
- A need to urinate more than usual or more frequent or explosive bowel movements
- More emotional than usual
- More lethargic than usual
- Poor sleep, feeling of wakefulness
- Symptoms of an existing or previous condition that has never truly healed may flare up or worsen before it improves.
+ Aftercare Advice:
To ensure you get the full benefits of your treatment, it is recommended that you carry out the following for 24 hours following treatment:
- Drink plenty of water as this will help hydrate the body, flush out toxins and improve energy levels.
- Try to rest for a couple of hours following treatment and avoid strenuous exercise for the rest of the day as this will help the treatment work to it's full potential.
- Avoid tea, coffee and alcohol as these are stimulants and will reduce the effectiveness of the treatment.
- Eat a light and healthy diet to allow your body to put its energy into healing.
- Make a note of any reactions you experience for your next appointment.
If you have any questions or want to discuss any reactions you are have, please feel free to call me. It is important to remember that any reactions that you experience are a positive sign that your body is responding to treatment.
+ How often should I have a treatment?
If your reason for having Reflexology is to seek help for a particular condition, then a course of regular treatments may be advisable in order to feel the full benefits of Reflexology. Following your first appointment, a treatment plan will be devised, recommending between 5 - 10weekly treatments. This will be dependent upon your age and state of health and nature of your condition and how long it has been present.
It is usual to follow up a treatment plan with monthly treatments to maintain the benefits.